Thursday, April 12, 2012

Taking a Break because, "Shit Happens!"

Sorry if I offended anyone with that title ~ but sometimes you just have to say it like it is!

Since I mentioned on my blog's facebook page that I was taking a break from blogging due to an, "unexpected life event," I've had some people email me asking if everything was okay. Everyone here is fine. We had a house fire the other night at 3am - had it not been for the working smoke detectors in the house, things could have been really bad.

You don't realize when you're sound asleep, how smoke can filter into your home without you even noticing! The alarms sounded in the basement and thank God we heard them as soon as we did, because by the time we jumped out of bed, the smoke was taking over the entire 1st floor of the house. We got the kids out and called 911. The firefighters did an AMAZING job getting the fire under control!

We still can't live in the house as we're dealing with mostly smoke and some fire damage in the walls, but for the most part we were soooo lucky! We're doing fine and our very old house is still standing!

We have family and friends all close by helping us out :) As soon as things settle down, I hope to be back cooking, photographing and blogging!

If you do one thing today...take the time to make sure ALL your smoke detectors/fire alarms are working!  It's easy to let them go saying you'll, "deal with them tomorrow.". (See to it that they are on every floor too!) Smoke detectors really do save lives and homes and in most cases - make all the difference in the world!

Cheers, Carolyn
(by the way, if this post's format looks weird, it's because I'm on a different computer, it's not allowing me to preview or spell check??? End user error perhaps?! Never. haha)

29 comments:

Clint said...

Jeezus. Thank God you all are all right. And also thank Him for fire alarms, fire extinguishers and firemen. We had a situation like that a couple months ago. It does get your attention.

Nova said...

Oh my ghosh...like Clint said: Thank God you are all right.

Good that you are having your family and friends close by.

Wishing you all the best!!

Carolyn McCaffrey Stalnaker said...

thanks guys! Yes my husband used our fire extinguisher on the flames he could see coming out of the wall and the firefighters told us that doing that - bought us time for sure!

Karen said...

Holy crap! I'm so glad you're all okay. So sorry to hear though! If I lived anywhere near you, I would be plying you with wine nightly...I'm sure you could use it!

raquel@eRecipe.com said...

Great to hear you are all ok. These things do happen and making us more aware of things that what we should be. Its very comforting to have your family and friends at times like these.

Jennifurla said...

So scary, glad your whole family is well.

Holly said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! I'm so glad you and your family were able to make it out safely in time. Fire is one of my worst fears! Hang in there.

Janvi said...

Nice collection...Thanks for sharing with us...I really like it... Kitchen Labels

Katerina said...

Carolyn I am so glad every one of you is fine! Fire is very cunning and you can be trapped in no time! Thank God everything is ok! Take care and have a lot of patient with the restoration of your house!

Carolyn McCaffrey Stalnaker said...

thanks so much all xoxo

Nicole said...

Oh dear. Well Thanks for letting us know what happened because I was worried when I saw that on FB. You're right, the important thing is none of you were hurt. Must have been very scary though, especially in the middle of the night, I can't even imagine. Hope you get back and settled soon. Best wishes.

Velva said...

I am so very sorry to read that you had a house fire- oh God! I can imagine how you must be feeling. You and your family are safe, and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Velva

Lea Ann said...

ohmyGOD!!!! I'm so sorry and glad to hear you're safe.

Carolyn McCaffrey Stalnaker said...

thanks again all...what an ordeal this has been, but yes, could have been worse. {big sigh....}

Jane said...

Fires are scary! I'm glad everyone is ok .. I hope you can get back in your house soon!

Jenn said...

Oh Carolyn... I'm so sorry to hear about the fire, but so very glad everyone is ok. Take your time and take care of you... we'll all be here when you return.

Nuts about food said...

Oh my gosh Carolyn, I am so sorry to hear about the fire. That must have been a really scary experience. Thank goodness you and the kids are fine, that is all that matters, but I am sure it is devastating to see your house in that state and to have to move out temporarily. My thoughts are with you.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Wow does that make it real. How freaking scary! Our rental has old aluminum wiring from the 60's which scares the crap out of me. SO glad you guys are okay and that your home will recover. And thanks for the PSA - it's an important one!!

Carolyn McCaffrey Stalnaker said...

thank you everyone! We are still not home but I hope to be back soon! :(

Heather said...

Been thinking of you. Hope things are have improved and I'm glad you're okay.

Anonymous said...

Доброго времени!
Предоставляем качественный [url=http://masterakz.ru/]ремонт стиральных машин в Астане[/url] всех известных брендов. Мы работаем на рынке более 5 лет, тысячи довольных клоиентов.
Так же на нашем сайте Вы сможете заказать любые комплектующие под [url=http://masterakz.ru/]стиральные машинки[/url].
Доброго пожаловать к нам на сайт [url=http://masterakz.ru/]MasteraKz.Ru[/url], будем рады видеть Вас в рядах наших клиентов.

(◔‿◔) said...

Ui, dein Blog gefällt mir!
Ich blätter mich mal durch.

Hoffe du verirrst dich auch mal zu mir
und kurze Frage: Wie gefällt dir speziell mein jüngster Post?

LG, Wieczorama (◔‿◔) | Mein Fotoblog

Bella said...

Oh, No! That was sad news and thank you to the firefighters for doing a great job. Thanks god no one of you guys get hurt because of fire. Did you call a fire damage cleanup?

Geoff Granfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geoff Granfield said...

It's a good thing you invested on those smoke detectors otherwise you would have been left to fire restoration services which I reckon of course may cost you more.

Geoff Granfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dyskalkulie said...

I am happy everything worked so well with you. I have smoke detectors which are linked with each other. So if a fire starts in the kitchen the detector in the sleeping room alarms me... best choice ever!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.