Did this Chocolate Guinness Cake really happen...???
...or was it only a dream?
Chocolate Guinness Cake - SimplyRecipes.com
- 10 minutes
- 1 hour
- 1 cup stout or porter beer, such as Guinness
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Method:1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 8 or 9-inch springform pan with butter and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
2. In a large saucepan place the beer and butter. Cook over medium-high heat until the butter has melted. Add the cocoa powder and sugars and whisk together. Take off heat and allow to come to room temperature.
3. In another bowl beat together the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract until very, very well combined. Add to the butter-beer mixture and whisk together.
4. In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the beer-butter mixture and whisk together until it just comes together. Pour into the prepared pan and give the pan a few short drops onto the counter top to shake the air pockets in the batter to the surface and out of the cake. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Run a knife around the edge to separate the cake from the pan and pop the ring off the spring form.
5. Spread frosting on the cooled cake and serve.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
- 1.5 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Method:1. With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2. Add the vanilla extract and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness and thickness.
3. Either spread on with a blunt knife or spatula, or spoon into a piping bag to decorate your cake or cupcake.